- Olympic Champion (1984)
- World Champion (1983)
- Five-time World Cup Champion (1980, 1982, 1985, 1994, 1995)
- Two-time Pan American Champion (1977, 1987)
- Goodwill Games Champion (1986)
- Goodwill Games Silver medalist (1994)
- Ten-time USA National Champion (1977-1995)
- NCAA Champion (1982)
- Two-Time Tblisi Champion (1984, 1991)
- Three-time World Silver medalist (1985, 1987, 1993)
- Two-time World Bronze medalist (1982, 1986)
- Three-time AAU National Champion (1977 GR, 1981 FS, 1982 GR)
- Three-time NCAA All-American (1978, 1981, 1982)
- Three-time DeGlane Challenge Champion (1983, 1990, 1991)
- Two-time Olympic Festival Champion (1985, 1987)
- Two-time Sunkist International Champion (1989, 1990)
Dave was a three-time state placewinner (1st, 4th, 4th) at Palo Alto High School in California and a three-time NCAA All-American (1st, 2nd, 3rd) at Oklahoma State (freshman) and the University of Oklahoma (junior and senior). Dave won his first National Open title while a senior in high school and went on to win 10 senior national titles (eight in freestyle and two in Greco-Roman). He did this over a 19 year span at three weight divisions: 149.9 lbs, 163.1 lbs and 180.7 lbs. He earned the Outstanding Wrestler award four times, twice pinning all his opponents.
In international competition, Dave won one Olympic gold medal, one world title, five world cup titles, two Pan American titles and two Tblisi titles. In all, Dave was a seven-time world medalist. Dave's vast knowledge of wrestling was considered by many to be the best in the history of American wrestling.
Perhaps more impressive that all of Dave's wrestling accomplishments were his contributions as an ambassador of goodwill throughout the US and the rest of world. Dave was also a family man who was devoted to his wife, Nancy, and two children, Alexander and Danielle.